Friday, March 14, 2008

The Books That Changed My Life Pt 2

ok, i'm back to talk about more of the books that changed my life. i spent the last day trying to figure out what the next one was after 5th grade and reading a dog called kitty. it turns out my next life changer wasn't until about 3 years later in 8th grade.





Number four: The Magic Kingdom Series by Terry Brooks

I think this was the first fantasy book I read. I mean I had read the lion the witch and the wardrobe in school because I had to (i wouldn't like it until later when i was almost 22) and there were plenty of fantasy stories and short kid books. This was my first Adult fantasy. And it was amazing. Terry Brooks has become my inspiration on fantasy. I have most recently read the first 3 trilogys in the Shanara series as well as the prequel and its the deepest most beautiful fantasy world. I love everything about it, and my own fantasy world i have created owes a lot to terry brooks. I loved everything about the Magic Kingdom world as well. The characters were amazing, the stories were awesome. I don't think I could have had a better introduction into fantasy than this. Number Five: It by Stephen King.

I read it during the standardized tests we had to take in 8th grade. As far as tests go, I have always been the first person done with a test, because I go with my first instinct and it left me with A LOT of free time for reading, and tackling this monstrosity was not so hard.

It was the second Stephen King book I read, the first being Tommyknockers. It was the largest, most advanced book I had read at the time. My teachers gave me weird looks while i was reading it. This book is the reason I love turtles, because of the great turtle that holds the world on his back. This has continued to be my favorite theme of stephen king's, also appearing as the god manturin in the dark tower series.

And of course, I've got to talk about Dark Tower now just a little bit, though a full description will be coming later. I was working up to the dark tower for my entire life, reading Stephen king's books. Having read It directly after Tommyknockers I found an immediate connection, causing me to look for connections between his books until present. And it was cool because my dad got to kind of control the way i read them, because he had read them all before me and could make sure I was catching it all.

It, itself was terrifying, and hysterical, and meaningful, and disgusting. I remember that I was really astounded when the kids had sex in the sewers. I was 13 and knew about sex, but these kids were younger than me and actually having it, and it really made me wonder about Stephen King. There were times i laughed so hard, in class too. Trying to stop the laughing of course made it worse and people thought I was insane. I cried when they left eddie in the sewers after he died, and then forgot about him. They forgot it all, everyone they lost, everything they had done. That killed me.
But, I'm not afraid of clowns. strange huh?


Number Six: The Tomorrow Series by James Marsden

So I backtracked a little my sophmore year of high school and read something that was actually in my age range. I found the first book Tomorrow, When the War began, read it, put it back on the shelf and forgot about it. About 6 months later I found a book and i read the back cover only to find out it was the next one The Dead of Night. I then tracked down The third one A Killing Frost and read that one.

Holy Crap!! There's 4 more that i didn't know about!! Holy Crap HOLY CRAP!! I'm so excited right now. I never remembered the name of the author or the series so to write this post I had to do a little research and I am so stoked to find that there's 4 more books. I have got to read them!!

These books are about a group of teenagers in austrailia who go out camping into a cavern and when they come back to town they find their town has been invaded and everyone is being held hostage at the fair grounds. The then run amok blowing crap up, trying to get rid of the soldiers and stay alive.

The last one I read they got rescued, and I thought that was it, but apparently they're going back to blow more stuff up. This story is what has given me my love and revusion of appocalyptic, invasion stories. The reason why I love shows like Lost, and Jericho and the movie Mist and Zombie stories. These kids that were my age were surviving and I thought it was just so cool (plus all the explosions, have i mentioned how much stuff they blew up?!) Several characters died and I died a little bit with them.

I have to go now to find out how much i can get to books for off amazon. i can't buy them now cuz we're packing and i can't bring more stuff in, but i can look at them right?

i think i'm addicted to books.

No comments: