Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Word Binders

In my first semester of my senior year of high school (fall 2001) I took a class called Humanities. In this class we looked at art, listened to music, read poetry and prose, and talked about it. It was nearly impossible to fail that class. I don't remember any tests, or even any assignments...

Anywho - we got a lot of packets with all different types of writing that we were supposed to read and discuss. Some of the stuff I really liked and I cut the pieces out and taped them down onto the binder I was using for some class or another. Pretty soon the whole binder was covered in excerpts of all kinds of things, save for one large spot that I was unable to fill because of its shape. Shortly after that I was writing a paper when I got the Blue Screen Of Death and lost the whole work. I filled that space in with white paper with these words written on it: "white space left in honor of all the words that were ever lost". I covered the whole shebang with sticky laminating plastic and thus the first word binder was born.

More recent word binders have become much more artistic, not always just excerpts, but whole books with a design to go along with it, like the Edgar Allen Poe one I made quite some time back and sold on Etsy. The past week or so I have made 3 binders out of comic books.




The first two were just random pictures from comic books pasted on, but the one I made today is pretty darn cool. It's all the big sound words, the Onomatopoeia words. So cool!


My boyfriend likes the Onomatopoeia one the best :)

I also made this really neat Book of Shadows binder from a copy of "Wicca: a guide for the solitary practitioner". It's definitely something I would have loved to have when I was still studying the craft, but now I hope someone else will love just as much.

And finally, just a little randomness made from "Brave New World". There was no real pattern when I started this. It just turned out pretty.



No comments: