Thursday, May 22, 2008

More Days of Dammit Dolls

rosebud collection made a comment on my last dammit doll post (which was some time ago... oops) saying she had never heard of them before, and it got me thinking that i hadn't really described what they were in my first post, just the way i usually make them.

although there isn't much past the way they are made that anyone needs to know. A dammit doll is a stress relieving device. My grandmother, when i made my first one, told me that the doll was made and used in place of the word 'Dammit' or any other swear you feel like spouting. According to the information i gathered on the internet there is also a poem that is supposed to go on the dammit doll.



here's what it says:

Whenever things don't go so well
And you want to hit the wall and yell
Here's a little dammit doll
That you can't do without.
Just grasp it firmly by the legs
And find a place to slam it
And as you whack the stuffing out
Yell, "DAMMIT! DAMMIT! DAMMIT!"



I never even heard of the poem until yesterday. I just put letters on their tummys and that's fine with me :)





It's been 5 days since my last update and my 30 days of dammit dolls has come to a screeching halt. I have run out of stuffing and have no money to buy more. I am sort of sad about it, but i also realized that I haven't been able or had motivation to work on anything else BUT the dammit dolls. So here is the last post with the final 5 dammit dolls. I may start up later, since I did really enjoy it.

So here is the last of the dammit dolls for now. I figured that they could all be put in one day which is why i haven't updated recently. The big part of each dammit doll is actually their secret, which remains secret until someone buys them. So a quick description was all i really needed.

Day 4 was Max. He was made with the fake snake skin from my brother's suit that i can't seem to use up, no matter how i try.



Day 5 was John. I was watching Grosse Pointe Blank, the current movie in my John Cusack binge so i named him for hotty man :D



Day 6 was the little cyclops alien named Timornakari. He's neat. He may be my favorite. He is miniature made from two pieces of yellow fleece. he has no stuffing inside cuz he's so freaking small. The only thing inside of him is his secret (a very very small secret). the initial on his tummy is in his own language and i cannot get a good picture of it, so you'll have to love him no matter what it looks like. not that it's hard with his little cyclops eye and his crazy sticky hair and his incredible smallness. perfect for sticking in your pocket. he can hide out there and when you're feeling like punching someone in the face while they're talking to you, you can reach in and give little Tim a squeeze.

Day 7 is made tomorrow on day 8. I fought with my boyfriend that day and i didn't really feel like sewing. So i made him first thing on day 8 and allowed the same boyfriend to name this guy george. I made him from the sleeve of a shirt i am deconstructing to reconstruct later. This is another pocket doll who is larger than yesterdays, i figured it was allowed because i was making 2 in one day. George is damn cute. and very squishy.

And finally Day 8. Quincy is a large dammit doll that my cat bubz has claimed as his own. I have moved the doll three times out from under him and yet he is still sleeping on him. I may just stick him in bub'z cat house because he seems to be in love and it's cute.

that's it. i'm going to go knit something now :)

No comments: