Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Mists of Avalon

Yesterday I finished reading The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It was a very long read, I picked it up more than 2 weeks ago and has taken me longer to read than any other book I've read at work. I got it from Half Price Books for only a dollar off the clearance shelf. I was thrilled to say the least. I had yet to read any story about Arthur or his Round Table Knights, I have seen the TV series Merlin, and I once attempted to read The Once and Future King but at the time I was too young and I gave it up.

So I jumped right into The Mists with excitement. Now that I think back to the beginning it seems so far away; Morgaine who seems to be the only surviving character at the end was not even born when the book begins. The Merlin comes to Morgaine's mother Ingraine and explaines to her how Avalon is fading into the mists because people's understanding and belief of how the world is made up is changing. That belief dictates the world and the Church of Christ is wiping away the old faith of the Goddess. I was enthralled at that moment, reading with my mouth gaping open, fallen completely in love.

Perhaps the book got a bit tedious in the middle, what with all the women sitting and spinning, weaving and talking about babies. With Morgaine's constant regret in having Arthur's son, and Gwenhwyfar's pious worrying over Lancelet's love and her own barrenness. But I never felt bored, I never wanted to put it aside to write or craft instead.

I need to take a break though, from these religious books. Very recently I've had read a string of books where the main themes revolve around theology, or a different take on religion. Ben Hur, Angels and Demons, Moby Dick, His Dark Materials... my mind has gone into overload with all this christian and anti-christian (so they say of dark materials) work.

I have always tried to respect other religions and faiths, but it is getting harder and harder to respect Christianity. I say that not as an attack to those who are Christians now, because many of them have been all their lives and it has no longer become a choice. It is the religion itself, and its terrifying and dangerous past.

I am trying to figure out why we as a people turned away from the worship of our earth, which is living and breathing below us, is real and tangible and we can see when we cause it harm, and return to it in death such an obvious way to live on forever in the circle of life. When did we decide to disregard those things that are tangible and turn instead to an invisible and unknown being in the sky who needs you only to repent to gain paradise after death. An unknown power that turned half of us into evil beings and sends down judgement on us from his throne so far from our world.

We no longer even respect our earth, where in the past we worshiped it. Heaven is the great end to life, so why do we need to ensure this planet of ours is healthy and strong for those who come after. I care not whether our society is matriarchal or patriarchal, I only wish that we had sense enough to see that worshiping any God other than the earth and air that supports our life is blasphemy.

Of course, that is only my opinion, and is what I gained as the main idea behind the book. And I realize how strongly I believe this as I write, thinking of Anka and Loba. My own characters in the book that I am writing portray these strong themes of protecting one's world, respecting the life that surrounds you.

The Mists has many differences in it's story than the others about Arthur. It is seen from Morgaine's eyes, and it shows that she was not an evil woman of the fairies, but only a woman with a plan to keep Christ's church from wiping away all thought of the Goddess. I know that the other books will portray her differently when I get around to reading them (The Crystal Cave is next) but I think in my heart I will always defer back to the Mists as my primary knowledge of Arthur's lore.

The book was awesome, definitely earning a spot on my favorite list. Read it if you haven't, it's beautiful and engaging and an amazing story.

1 comment:

genuinelygreen said...

I've been wanting to engage in a long read. You've inspired me!